Friday, July 21, 2006

Whispers 003

Currently Playing: High and Mighty Color - Seek

That night I didn't sleep as well as I might have liked, though, I was grateful for any sleep that I was given. And if you were to ask me why my sleep wasn't all that great, I guess that even I didn't really know. I didn't have any more of those dreams about my past life, nor really any other pressing matters. I just had a really bad feeling that something was about to happen, and that Max being captured that night had been all but the first steps in this new 'grand design' that Fate had laid out for us. -Shakes head.- Iie, I don't know what my problem was, I just remembered waking up numerous times, a couple of which I had accidently woke Rae up.

Though, when he asked what was wrong I just told him that it wasn't anything, and to just go back to sleep. Well, he bought into that about the first three times, and then he finally sat up with me during one of the my waking phases, and talked to me. I told him about the bad feeling that I was getting, and he did his best to try, and ease my worries, and fears. He'd brush back my bangs, and kiss me on the forehead, holding me close in his arms. Someplace, among few where I actually felt safe, and warm. Only then did I realize, though, how bad I was falling for him. Something that I knew most people probably would scorn, but I really didn't care, I loved him. He was, after all, my childhood friend first, and then my foster brother, so really was it such a crime to love him as I did? -Sighs softly.- I really don't know.

I'm so insecure on so many things right now. Whereas before I had been so confident in myself, now I seemed to be lacking in that sureness. I'd space out so much more, and it was hard to keep track of everything that had gone on during school. By the end of the week I was just thankful that it was Friday, which meant that I could have the weekend to rest up, and hopefully get myself back on track. Though, that eventually proved more easily said then done. Max had been kept home for the past couple of days because of her injuries, so a lot of our time after school was spent with us all going over to her place, and seeing how she was doing. Each day, though, she looked a little bit better, for which myself, and many of the others too were thankful for.

Of course, though, that didn't help me to sleep at night. Nor did it help to ebb away that strange feeling of disater that was plaguing me. I started relying on Rae's little comforts at night, and just knowing that he was there when I went to sleep at night. I know that he was worried about me, but he still kept up a pretty brave, and strong face. We also began to walk to school alone together more than before. No one else seemed to mind so much, though. Since Jake would then just usually walk to school with Ace, Kira, and Logan, be it that Rae was with me. And that was provided Jake did go to school, since I know that a lot of his own freetime, and even his schooling was taken up by caring for Max. Checking in on her to make sure that she was safe, and the likes. Those two, I swear, were the perfect couple, and it always warmed my heart to hear of the things that Jake would sacrifice in order to care for Max. He was truly a great guy, which..I am sure all of our friends were. I know they are, but it was just sweet to see a boyfriend so apt to take care of his girlfriend.

"Sakuuya?" asked Rae at my side as we walked home from school.

"Hm?" I asked looking at him, but I then looked away. "I was spacing again, wasn't I?"

Rae nodded. "Yeah, sorry.."

I shook my head. "Iie, it's all right. I know that it's unhealthy."

"Well, no, not exactly," said Rae. "Not if used in moderation." He smiled faintly at me, and I smiled softly back before throwing my arms around him, and hugging him close. We had stopped just beneath one of the sakura trees we often passed on our way to and from school. And when we parted his gaze met mine, and I smiled shyly at him, casting my glance aside. Though, when I looked back, his expression had not changed, and a soft breeze danced around us, filling the air with the fragrance of the sakura. Meeting his gaze one last time, I let my eyes flutter shut, and pulled myself closer to him, in the next instance he had closed the gap, and we had kissed. His lips felt so warm, and his hold around my waist was reassuring, and kind. I wrapped my arms tighter about him, pulling him closer. The wind, and cherry blossoms dancing around our forms.

When we at last pulled away, both of us blushed diverting our gazes, and muttering immediate apologies. But we stopped, and then glanced at one another, and I finally just smiled softly back at him. Which seemed to reassure him. "Anou..we best be getting home.." said Rae quietly, and I nodded.

"Hai." And not another word was said, as we made our way back to our home just on the outskirts of town, on one of the last streets before hitting country road. When we arrived home we found that all the lights were shut off in the house, and the doors were all locked. Tell-tale signs that Ritsuo and Ayana had gone out for the night, which was nice. They deserved to go out have a bit of fun every now, and then. I mean, even great parents/guardians like them deserve a break. -Smiles kindly.- So actually the sight was quite pleasant to Rae and I. (Oh, and don't you hentais get any ideas, or so help me you will be in 'trouble.' v-.-v).

Anyways, so once we arrived, and unlocked the door, the two of us walked into the small, yet quaint home slipping our shoes off at the door. I was just kicking off my second shoe, and took a step forwards losing my balance. Rae immediately was there, and he caught my arm steadying me. Opening my eyes I looked up at him, and smiled sheepishly, but all he did was smile politely back. "Be careful, Sakuuya."

I swallowed nodding. "Hai."

Setting the shoes off to the side I then made my way past Rae, and into the kitchen. I began to look around for some possibility for dinner. Rae had followed wearing a soft smile on his face, which turned much more brighter, and almost playful as he leaned against the side of the doorway looking at me. A few strands of his brunette hair with a hint of red fell into his eyes, and he shook his head brushing them aside, and revealing his kind eyes. I felt his eyes upon me, and lifted my head up, closing the refrigerator door. "What should we make for dinner tonight?" I asked politely.

Rae just looked at me with a quizzical expression on his face. "Are you honestly hungry, Sakuuya?"

"Hm? Well iie, I suppose not," I answered truthfully, "but we still should at least make something in case one of us does get hungry, later on.."

Rae chuckled softly. "Fair enough. Well in that case, how about sukiyaki?"

"Sukiyaki? Really?" I asked tilting my head at him, my red hair catching a ray of the evening sunlight.

"Why not, it's easy enough, ne?"

I chuckled softly nodding. "Alright," I said, and then began to rummage through the cupboards until I found two pans. I filled one with water, and set the other on the back burner of the stove. The next step was finding the makings for the dish, as once that I was done all I had to do was wait for the water to boil. Rae had by this time wandered into the opposite room, and taken a seat at the living room's computer. I began to hear his quiet keystrokes, as I continued making supper.

About a half hour passed, and I had finished the dish. I called to Rae who just looked over his shoulder from the computer desk at me, and smiled. He let me know that he had heard, and that he was just finishing up the last page of his History paper. To which I had to chuckle remembering how many times Kira got into a fiasco with that teacher. Though, I knew that Rae would do just fine, he had always been good at the sort of thing, and it seemed to be a favorite past-time of his to study. He was quite knowledgeable on the subject as well.

So while he finished up, I decided to put supper into bowls, grabbing two pairs of chopsticks. I took a couple glasses out of the cupboards and filled them with water, and then carried Rae's into the living room, setting it beside him at the computer desk. He glanced up from the screen at me, and smiled thanking me.

"Dou-itashimasta," I said with a soft smile. And then I went back into the kitchen to grab my own serving, and water glass. I walked back into the living room, sitting down on the sofa, and folding my legs. "I hope that it's all right."

Rae finished his paper, and then looked at me. "I'm sure it's fine. You're a great cook."

I just smiled meekly at him, sifting the chicken in my sukiyaki to the side. "I wonder how Max is doing?"

"Hm?" asked Rae as he came over to sit down. "Oh, well she has been showing signs of recooperation hasn't she?"

"Sou.." I said softly sifting a bit more of my food to the side.

"So I'm sure that there is nothing to worry about, Sakuuya," said Rae kindly, and I looked up at him. I then withdrew my gaze, as just as I did my cell phone began to ring. I numbly picked it up, looking at the caller ID and realizing that it was Kira. I glanced at Rae, and he looked at me, but then shrugged, and I clicked recieve.

"Moshi moshi?"

"Fox?" came Kira's response on the other end.

"Hai."

"Oh, thank goodness I finally got through to you," said Kira.

I seemed a bit taken aback. "Nani?"

"It's Max.." said Kira. "She's missing again."

My eyes went wide. "She's missing?"

"Yeah," came Himitsu's almost strained reply.

I sat up on the couch. "When did this happen? How long has she been missing?"

"I don't know, one, maybe two hours or so," answered Himitsu. "And get this, Jake's gone as well."

"Jake's gone too?!"

"Yeah, I went over to her house, and there was no hide nor hair of either of them," said Kira.

"Nothing?"

"Not a trace."

"Well," I said in almost near-desperation. "We got to think of someway to pick up some sort of trace of them. We've got to find them!"

There were a few momements of silence before Kira said, "Hey, can I come over? I think I might have an idea."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"Forget it, now can I, or can't I?"

"Sou, sure," I replied. "I'll leave the door unlocked."

"Great thanks," said Himitsu by far too enthusiastic for her own good. "See you in just a bit." And then there was a click, and our conversation ended. Sighing softly, I closed my cell phone, and glanced at Rae.

"I swear, we never get a break," I said.

Rae looked at me questionably. Though, I choose not to further the conversation, and shook my head, and then glanced towards the window watching the setting sun on the horizon. A pure golden glow from the sun being cast upon my form.

"Uh..Sakuuya?" said Rae, voice a mere whisper. I turned lithely to face him, and saw his face flush.

"Hai?"

"Anou..nevermind," was his reply as he glanced aside. But I cast him a confused, and worried look.

"Are you all right, Rae?" I asked my foster brother kindly.

"Uh..sou," was all he said, and then glanced aside. Almost as if he were ashamed of something, I went to lean forwards reaching a hand out to him, when the doorbell rang. I withdrew my hand, and glanced quickly towards the front door.

"Come in! It's open!" I called just as Kira peeked her head in and around the door. She saw us, and grinned playfully.

"I hope that I'm not interrupting anything."

I threw a pillow at her from the couch. "Baka."

She ducked obviously, and so I missed. Kira then burst into a small fit of laughter as she stepped into the house taking her shoes off. She glanced into the kitchen. "Were you cooking?"

"Hai," I answered. "Sukiyaki, there's extra if you want some."

Kira wandered into the kitchen to get herself a serving, and then sauntered back in. She glanced at the two of us. Though, before she could say anything, I suddenly asked, "did you have any luck finding anything that might lead us to Max?"

"Does it look like I found something, hun?" asked Kira opening her arms. She walked over to the living room chair, and plopped down, taking a bite of her sukiyaki she said, "I thought that we might scry for her."

"Scry?" I repeated. "As in wiccan search? That scry?"

"Well, yeah, duh. What else would it be?"

"But I don't have anything of her's that we could use."

"Nope, but I do," said my friend triumphantly.

I folded my arms across my chest. "Really? And what of her's did you manage to confiscate?"

Kira smiled coyly at me. "Don't worry it's nothing that anyone would realize is missing."

"A diary?" I asked.

"Nope."

"Then what?"

Kira set her bowl of sukiyaki down, along with her chopsticks, and then reached into one of the pockets of her black jeans pulling out what looked like a small ring.

"What on earth is that?"

My friend just giggled. "It's the promise ring that Jake gave her."

"When was this?" I wanted to know.

"Nevermind that," said Kira shaking her head. "What matters is that we have something to scry for her with. She never takes this thing off, which means that she really has been abducted."

"Soshite?" I said.

"And," said Kira, "I think that it might just have been by the same people who had done it before."

"And how did you manage to come to that conclusion? Unless there is something that you haven't told us," I said levelly.

Kira just waved me off. "Now, now, no need to get suspicious. I just thought that it would make sense, since--who else in their right state of mind would catnap a genetically enhanced human being?"

I rolled my eyes at her kitty joke. "Obviously somehow who doesn't know who, or what she was. That proves nothing, Himitsu."

"Well, maybe not," said Kira indignantly. "But it was a thought."

"You were jumping to conclusions," I reasoned.

"So?" said Kira. "Anyways, I also brought my mother's scrying map, and crystal." As she said it, she pulled each thing out of her backpack. Then she got onto the flow, and laid out the map, reaching up to nimbly grabbed her bowl of dinner, and pulled it down beside her. Kira then began to tie the ring in against the crystal, she muttered a small spell, and the crystal began to circle around the map, as my friend held it suspended by a string. With a soft sigh, I slipped down to the floor, beside her watching the crystal.

After a few minutes it stopped spinning, and landed sharply on a rather family area. I looked up at Kira who was similing quite lively. I then glanced back at the map. The crystal had landed on Reginald's science and research facility.

"That can't be right," I said. "No one in their right minds would use the same place twice."

"Why not?" said Kira with an airy shrug. "Yami did it."

"Aa," I said slightly irritated, "but Yami isn't..wasn't your typical, average person now was he? Nor did he ever seem in his right state of mind, to begin with." I added the last part with a small tinge of acid, and Kira glanced at me quirking an eyebrow. "This just doesn't make sense. Things don't add up."

Kira sighed, folding up the map. "Why do you always have to analyze every little detail, Fox? Max could be..is in big trouble. We don't have time to tread cautiously here."

"There's always time," corrected Rae softly.

"It's better to be safe, then sorry," I added.

"Yeah, well the longer we sit here trying to figure things out the closer we get to be both safe and sorry," said Kira slightly angered.

Now it was my turn to sigh. "Fine, " I said, "but if we get into any sort of trouble that could have been avoided, so help me--"

"I got it," said Kira cutting me off. "Come on, let's go." She then looked at Rae. "Are you coming too?"

My foster brother shook his head. "Iie, I think that I'll go and let the others know what has happened."

"And maybe get us a little bit of back-up, in case this plan of Kira's goes--and pardon the pun--" I said to Kira. "Up in flames?" Kira looked at me with a smug expression on her face, and reached out cuffing me lightly upside the head.

"You're horrible, you know that?" said Kira, but she was smiling.

I glanced at her with just my eyes alone. "Not at bad as you."

"Oh, ha ha," said Kira with a roll of her eyes. "C'mon." She stood up, pulling me up with her, and walking towards the door. I looked over my shoulder at Rae.

"Will you be all right?"

Rae nodded gently. "Aa, I'll be fine. Just--be careful, okay?"

I smiled at him, also nodding. "I will. K'yotseke."

He just smiled at me, as I slipped my shoes on, and then followed Kira out the door an into the evening twilight. I looked up into the sky, and sighed.

"Wonderful," I said unenthusiastically, and Kira glanced at me.

"What? Is is going to rain, or something?"

"Iie, it's twilight," and Kira burst out laughing. Since we had all remembered what had happened in our previous lives, the idea of 'Twilight' had sort of became an inside joke between Kira, Max, and I.

Kira then reached out to grab my arm. "Don't worry, I'm not going to turn all bad-ass on you. I'd be more worried about Max doing that at present..or worse.."

I just nodded, my gaze shifting from the sky back to the area in-front of me. "Come on, let's go," I said softly. As with that with set off once more in the direction of Reginald's Reasearch Facility.

Time's running out, and we're coming close. I can sense it. I can feel in, deep inside of me. Something's going to happen that will forever realter all of our lives..

No comments: